Annually, WREC and our partners host a green practices tour highlighting projects your neighbors completed to improve water quality and habitat within the community.
Join us on Thursday, October 8th for the 2015 green tour! The tour will depart from the straw bale gardens at the intersection of Cincinnati and Erie Street (Lafayette) by foot at 2:00 pm. On-stree parking is available for tour participants. Registration for the green tour is requested. Register now using this link!
The tour will include four stops and will conclude by 4:00 pm. Tour stops highlight residential and govenmental installations of urban green practices. WREC, the City of Lafayette and Purdue Unversity Retirees Association welcomes community members to tour these sites, learn about green practices and celebrate the successes of these practices and their positive impact on the Wabash River.
Participants are free to join the tour at any of the stops.
Guided Walking Tour Stops:
- Cincinnati & Erie Street Straw Bale Gardens - Check out this up and coming gardening technique, learn about this garden's location and long-term plans for addressing local food (2:00 pm @ Cincinnati & Erie Streets, Lafayette)
- Erie Steet bioswales - Bioswales, native plantings and rain barrels at two residences (2:20 p.m. @ 528 Erie Street and 511 Erie Street, Lafayette)
- North Street retrofit - Pervious paver streetscape, bioswales, native planting, Combined Sewer Overflow separation (2:50 p.m. @ the corner of Erie and North Streets, Lafayette)
- Virtuous Cycles project - Pervious pavers, rain barrels (3:30 p.m. @ 215 N. 10th Street, Lafayette)
- 4:00 p.m. return to straw bale gardens